- 2 lbs Red Delicious apple, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- water, to cover the apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 bread rolls
- 6 cups milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla sugar blended with caster sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar, extra
- 3 -4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1/4 cup butter + 1 tb extra to coat pan
1. Preheat oven to 325°
2. Grease an ovenproof dish using 1 tsp butter and breadcrumbs.
3. Slice apples thinly and place in cold water with lemon juice until ready to use.
4. Slice the bread rolls and mix with the milk, the egg yolks, vanilla sugar and caster sugar.
5. Place a third in the greased ovenproof dish.
6. Pour 1/3 cup of wine all over soaked rolls
7. Place half apple slices on the top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbs cinnamon 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup raisins.
8. Repeat layers and end with the last third of the bread on top
9. Pour last third of wine on top of entire mixture.
10. Place small dollops of butter on mixture.
11. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.
12. Beat the egg whites with 1/4 sugar and the apricot jam, and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
13. Spread egg white mixture on top of pudding (after baking) and bake for a few minutes more, until egg whites change to a light brown color.