This an easy recipe for the otherwise difficult traditional recipe for hoppers. Sri Lankans generally have hoppers for either breakfast or dinner. It is a very thin and crispy pancake with a egg in the center and chili sauce. This recipe will serve about 5-6 people.
- 2 tsp yeast granules
- *1/8 cup lukewarm water
*(Use a liquid cup measurer for liquid) Not a teaspoon or dry cup measure (difference in amount.)
- 4 cups rice flour
- 1 cup lukewarm *water + *1 cup lukewarm beer
- 1 13 oz can of coconut milk + 1/2 can of lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- two tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Additional Egg in each serving
1. Mix the ingredients for the yeast mixture and leave for 15 minutes until frothy. If the mixture is not frothy at this point, the yeast you used is too old, you will need a new packet of yeast.
2. Put the rice flour into a large bowl and add the yeast mixture. Next add the 1 cup lukewarm water + 1 cup lukewarm beer. Mix well.
3. Now cover the bowl with a wet cloth or plastic wrap and leave for about eight hours in a warm place. The batter should rise to double the original amount.
4. Finally before preparation add 3/4 of the (coconut milk with water) 1 egg tbsp stir well. If more liquid is needed, add the remaining of the coconut milk little by little. The batter should be thinner than a pancake batter. Add salt to taste.
5. Soak a small piece of cloth in oil in a saucer. Heat a thachhiya (a small wok) on medium. When hot rub the pan thoroughly with the oiled-cloth. Add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and turn the pan in a circular motion so that the batter sticks to the sides of the pan.
6. Crack another egg in the middle when batter wet and cover for about two minutes until the egg is still runny and the mixture has some crispy edges
7. Use a butter knife to loosen the edges of the Hopper and serve with Chili Sauce
- 1 cup coarsely chopped(shallots) or 1 1/2 large onions
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
1. Place cut up onions or shallots in a blender and make a paste.
2. Add the chopped tomato mix them with the onions.
3. Add the lemon juice and salt.
Put a tablespoon or two in the center of the Hopper